Second Firsts!

 



Have you ever stood at the edge of a new beginning.....

.....and heard a little voice inside you say -

"But isn't it too late?"

Too late to change, too late to start over, too late to chase that dream, too late to become the person you once imagined you could be.

I know that voice. And perhaps, so do you.

Because somewhere along the way, we begin believing that there's an expiry date for dreams.

At 20, we say, "I have plenty of time".

At 30, we say, "Maybe later".

At 40, we say, "I have too many responsibilities".

And then one day, we look in the mirror and quietly ask, "Did I miss my chance?"

I want to tell you something today, "No, you did not miss your chance. You are not too late. You are simply standing at a different starting line".


For a long time, I thought beginnings belonged to younger people.

New careers.

New dreams.

New identities.

Young people could experiment, make mistakes, change direction.

But when you reach a certain age, society quietly hands you a script. You are supposed to know who you are. You are supposed to be -

Settled.

Responsible.

Predictable.

And if you suddenly say, "I want something more"......

Someone will inevitably ask, "Why now?"

And then the most dangerous thing we do is....we believe them.


I discovered the power of beginning again through something very simple - Writing.

During a difficult and uncertain time in the world, 'Covid', I found myself turning to words.

I wrote because I needed somewhere to put the emotions I couldn't always explain. And slowly, something changed.

The words that began as an escape became a voice. That voice became stories. Stories became books, poems, conversations and connections. And I realised something profound:

Sometimes, a new beginning doesn't arrive with fireworks. It begins quietly, with a blank page. With one idea, with one tiny decision - "Let me try".

And that one decision can change the direction of life.


Here's what I also learned. Beginning again does not mean erasing your past. It doesn't mean pretending the previous chapters never happened. It means using everything those chapters taught you and carrying that wisdom into the next one. 

Your failures come with you. Your heartbreaks come with you. Your mistakes come with you. Your responsibilities come with you. Your scars come with you. 

But so do your -

Lessons.

Your resilience.

Your courage.

So when you begin again at 40 or 45 or 50....you are not the same person who stood at the starting line at 20. And that's your 'advantage'. You are not starting from zero. You are starting from 'experience'.


Think about a woman who has spent twenty years taking care of everyone around her. She remembers her children's schedules, her family's needs, everyone's birthdays, everyone's problems. But somewhere along the way, she stopped asking herself one simple question, "What do I need?"

Perhaps she wants to study, perhaps she wants to work, or travel or create something, or simply wants to rediscover the woman she was before everyone needed her. And when she finally takes that first step, someone may say, "Why now?"

My answer is, "Why not now?"

Because there is no age at which you're stopped being allowed to dream. There is no deadline for becoming yourself.

And beginning again doesn't mean changing your entire life. Sometimes it means changing just one belief. 

So let's do this, instead of - "I can't", try saying, "I haven't learned how, yet".

Instead of - "It's too late", try asking, "What could I still create with the time I have?"

Instead of - "What will people think?", ask, "What will I think of myself if I never try?"

And these questions can change everything.

You know what is truly heartbreaking? Not failing. Not getting rejected. No, not even taking the wrong turn.

The heartbreaking thing is reaching the end of your life and wondering .......

"What if I had started 10 years earlier?"

"What if I had written that book?"

"What if I had started that business?"

"What if I had gone back to studying?"

"What if I had danced?"

"What if I had spoken up?"

"What if I had been braver?"

"What if I had finally chosen myself?"

What if......I had not been so afraid of being too late?

We all have a collection of 'what ifs'. Some belong to our careers, some to relationships, some to dreams we quietly buried and some, belong to the person we once wanted to become.

And I've learned something, we cannot change the 'what ifs' of our past. But we can decide what questions our future will ask us. And I don't want my future to ask - "What if you had tried?"

I want it to say - "I'm glad you began!".


Today, I want you to think of one thing you have been postponing -

One dream.

One conversation.

One beginning.

And I want you to remove two words from your vocabulary: "Too Late". Replace them with these words: "Begin Again".

Maybe not perfectly, not fearlessly, not with everything figured out. Just - begin.

Because a seed doesn't look at a tree beside it and says, "I'm too late". It simply begins to grow. A sunrise doesn't apologise because it has taken the night to arrive. And so do you....you don't need permission from your age, your past, your circumstances, or anyone else to begin again.

Maybe your first chapter was about survival. Maybe your second was about responsibility. Maybe your third was about proving yourself. But maybe, the next chapter can be about becoming yourself. And if you are standing at the edge of that chapter today, wondering whether it is too late - 

Look at your life. Look at everything you've survived.

Look at everything you've learned. Look at the person you've become. 

And then take that first step. Because you are not late. You are not behind. You are not starting from nothing. You are starting from experience, as I said earlier. So turn the page. Pick up the pen and begin again. Maybe this is the best chapter of your life, the one you finally found the courage to write yourself.


AUTHOR'S NOTE: If you liked the blog, comment and share with your friends. For more, keep following me at blogspot.

Comments

  1. Excellently expressed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Such an inspiring blog. You've touched a chord. I'm sure many of us have or are going thru this dilemma and You've put across your thoughts so beautifully.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot dear Sunita for reading and appreciating ❤️

      Delete
  3. Hey Jui I can very much connect to it, as i have started now at 54. I would say I am reborn... Started with a new career, living according to my willamd wish... So I too say it is never late to Start ❤️❤️๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

    ReplyDelete
  4. เคต्เคตा เค›ाเคจ เคต्เคฏเค•्เคค เคाเคฒीเคธ เค—ं.....เค–เคฐंเคš เคตेเคณेเคšी เคธंเคงी เค†เคชเคฃ เคธाเคงเคฒी เคชाเคนिเคœे.เคคु เคฒिเคนीเคฒ्เคฏा เคช्เคฐเคฎाเคฃे....เค•เคงीเคนी เคธुเคฐूเคตाเคค เค•เคฐा เคชเคฃ เค•เคฐाเคฏเคšी เคธंเคงी เค˜ाเคฒเคตू เคจเค•ा.เคธ्เคตเคคः เคธाเค ी เค•เคฐा๐Ÿ‘❤️เคคुเค्เคฏा เคฒिเค–ाเคฃाเคคूเคจ เคฎैเคค्เคฐीเคฃी เคจเค•्เค•ीเคš เคตिเคšाเคฐ เค•เคฐเคคीเคฒ เค…เคถी เค†เคถा....เค…เคถीเคš เคฒिเคนिเคค เคฐเคนा..๐Ÿ™Œ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring write up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

House That Has Learned To Dry.

After the Last Goodbye (1).

After the Last Goodbye (16).